Stolen from like 5 of you who were up too late last night:
Pick 20 movies/anime/video games/literary works (I did movies to make it easier) and put their summaries from Better than it Sounds
and WITHOUT CHEATING have your friends guess.
1) Emo blacksmith moves to the Middle East and nails Eva Green. (Kingdom of Heaven - midwinterspring
2) White man successfully co-opts black culture to impress other whites. (8 mile - mybodymycoffin
3) An old dude wants to die, but he's forced into finding his friends by a little girl.
4) Food poisoning leads Shell Shocked Senior to pilot a passenger jet. (Airplane! - zentiger
5) Woman is brought back to life because of stomach cramps.
6) Man leads communist revolution and overthrows corrupt government in order to impress a girl.
7) A computer geek and his perpetually horny Indian friend try to rescue a peacenik Weapon of Mass Destruction from technophobic security guard for dissection. Friend To All Animals tries to protect said WoMD from both of them. (Short Circuit - zentiger
8) World is rocked by the mind-blowing effects of a tranquilizer prescribed to pregnant women. Got some really dumb sequels.
9) Washed-up actors discover that people they never expected to meet love their work a bit too much.
10) Back To The Future in a star ship. And with whales. (Star Trek IV - zentiger
11) Conspiracy Theorist wonders around insane asylum during a hurricane; suspects Gandhi of being the mastermind behind the whole thing all along.
12) A daydreaming loser is given a failing television station. He must save the station's ratings with the help of a midget, an alien, an idiot and Fran Drescher. Film stars a novelty musician and the main comedic character is played by a known racist. (UHF - zentiger
13) A group of teenagers go home after a pep rally. They seem to have difficulty taking the train and are thus forced to walk most of the way.
14) Holocaust survivor turns Statue of Liberty into deadly weapon.
15) Police fail to find a serial killer.
16) A bureaucrat tries to get some loose paperwork errors corrected, and maybe get his air conditioning repaired in the process.
17) A group of people want to blow up a bridge, and another group wants to stop them. Tension occurs. The group that wants to blow up the bridge has decided on this course of action long before the bridge is finished. And this bridge is being built by perfectionists who place their workmanship on the bridge above all else.
18) Murders are committed while everyone involved, including the killer, is asleep. This movie will also make you not like Tim Burton anymore.
19) After a long time, a guy meets his ex-girlfriend, who ditched him for another guy. He's bitter and jealous, but he begins to fall in love with her again. And then he forces her to stay with the other guy.
20) Nick Cage ruins the memory of a good movie by punching women while dressed as a bear. (The Wicker Man - anosognosia
Speaking of Movies:
The Big Knife/Robert Aldrich
Kiss Me Deadly/Robert Aldrich
The Lower Depths/Akira Kurosawa
Standing in the Shadows of Motown/Paul Justman
The last one mentioned was a really good documentary on The Funk Brothers
, the Motown houseband that recorded almost all the music from that label in the 50's and 60's. Everybody knows their sound, and they've played on more #1 records than any other band, but nobody really knows who they are, myself included. The saddest part of the documentary for me was when one of the members was discussing a lunch he'd recently had with his old bandmate and guitar player. When "My Girl" played over the speakers, the guy almost told the waiter he was the guy that wrote the guitar lick, but he eventually had second thoughts because he didn't want to appear like a raving old man. It's a sad world when we can name who wrote the licks to "Purple Haze", "Whole Lot of Love" and "Layla", but we always have to refer to the guy that wrote "My Girl" as "that one guy in the Funk Brothers." Now I'm just waiting for a documentary on The Wrecking Crew